What are the best SD cards to use in a Raspberry Pi?

SD cards have a limited life, and the more you read and write to them, the shorter their lifespan. In a Raspberry Pi this makes things a little tricky, the SD card gets a much tougher workout than it normally would in something like a digital camera.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://reprage.com/post/what-are-the-best-sd-cards-to-use-in-a-raspberry-pi

Thanks for this information! Any recommendations for 8GB?

1 Like

No problems! Any of the three listed above (I also just made a quick edit to make it clearer that they are all 8GB cards).

1 Like

Hi, Great post! I am looking for a SD card with wear leveling, but the information given by documents does not say whether it has wear leveling. I am looking at ‘Sandisk Ultra Ultra 16GB’. It’s cheaper than ‘extreme’ you mentioned. Does my card has wear leveling? it’s also class 10

Nah. The Ultra ultra doesn’t have wear levelling. You are looking for Sandisk cards that feature the ‘Advanced Error Correction Code engine’.

Thanks. My current pi used about 5GB space, do you think I should get a 8 GB or a 16GB card? The Sandisk card you recommend is a little expensive for me, do you know any cheap card with wear leveling? Thanks

Edit: what about this one

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/sd-cards/extreme-sd-uhs-i?capacity=16GB

I was looking into this as well and it is not easy to find a straight answer. I think Sandisk Ultra have wear levelling. According to Sandisk support:“most all flash memory is MLC based now. all flash memory will have wear leveling but endurance is very workload driven.”

1 Like

So, what’s the result? Does ‘Ultra’ and ‘Extreme’ has level wearing? I know ‘Extreme Pro’ has, but that’s really expensive.

The extreme does (see recommendations above). I have not found evidence that the ultra does, however the forum link that Jonas referenced suggested contacting an OEM distributor to find out if the ultra has unadvertised support.

Well I bought for my Odroid U3 a tons of micro sd cards. I think the Ultras was the best from it (I just bought cheap ones). But they are still dying within a month.

1 Like

Anyone know if this one has wear-leveling?
~ Lexar High-Performance microSDHC 600x 32GB UHS-I ~

I found it for a good price (as the lowest you have listed above) and it has the unique Lexar USB 3.0 reader in the package so it is most likely genuine.

Can’t recommend the Panasonic gold cards for raspberry Pi. I’m trying to write a disk image to one and it’s only achiving a write speed of about 100kB against typically 2MB/s with other cards I have The best of all is a class 6 8mb sandisk extreme card I have that will write an image at 10MB a second. But I can’t seem to find any more.

P.S. sandisk evo cards are recommended by toms hardware reviews for random read writes. I have a small one that seems about average in speed terms. I’d be interested in others findings as I’d like to find a better one. I’ve tried some class 4 cards and these aren’t bad but not outstanding. (Having seen it said that class 4 and 6 cards often better than class 10 for random read writes)

1 Like

Great dimension. Was mostly looking at reliability, but speed is also an important factor. I had been going off the advertised speeds. Surprised to learn that you only got 2MB/S out the panasonic which is rated UHS-1 and class 10.

actually the disk image write speed for the panasonic averaged around 100kB/s not the 2MB/s that I found more typical.

Great post, thank you.

Do all extreme series have wear leveling? thanks

Do you know if SanDisk Extreme http://amzn.to/2fVZSDU has wear leveling?

I believe so. This is a new version of one of the SD cards I already had listed. Updated the list above. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. samsung evo is the best for Raspberri pi

Hi. Did you actually test the 16 GB SanDisk Extreme? I bought exactly that same one, but I haven’t been able to make it work with my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. I can format it, and it works for read and write on my computer. But after I dd the raspbian image into it and insert it in the Raspberry, it seems it cannot read it (doesn’t start, doesn’t even display video through the HDMI port). I don’t think it’s a problem with the Raspberry itself since it works with another SD card I have, and it doesn’t look like the card has problems either, since it works with my computer using a USB adapter. Can you please confirm you tested that exact card with a Raspberry 3 B? If so, do you know any reason why that wouldn’t work?

Thanks.