RepRage – Home School Crash Course - Part 3

In the last episode I wrote about how the home school approach we have taken allows us to draw upon the best curricula from around the world. It’s a system that ensures we are ‘certified’ by the Australian educational system, but not limited by it. It’s a bit sad that we have to compensate for the educational system here, but the reality is that the performance of Australian schools has become horrifying. By the time Australian kids hit fifteen, their literacy skills are a full year behind their Singaporean peers.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://reprage.com/post/home-school-crash-course-part3

Do you recommend getting just the workbooks or also the teachers guides and textbooks?

1 Like

Textbooks and workbooks. They go hand in hand. A lesson usually starts in the textbook and finishes in the workbook.

Initially we got the teachers guide because I was nervous about teaching. But never used them until we got to the year three level. Now I will occasionally use it when I’m lazy and want the answer key to quickly mark my daughters work.

You could just get a 1A textbook and workbook to try it out and see how it goes. If all goes well, buy a few and save on shipping?

The textbooks also have additional actives that use tangible materials like counting cubes, dice and what not. We got a pack with all those materials, but we don’t use it that often. We probably used the play money in our local currency the most. But when you get the books you can flick through and source that sort of stuff locally.