An Open Love Letter to Adrian Bliss

Dear Adrian Bliss,

Woah Greg. Relax. This isn’t that kind of love letter. What are you doing reading Adrian’s open mail anyway? Ugh. Sorry. Readers who haven’t watched Vlogvember and Vlune are already completely lost. This letter needs some bloody context and foreshadowing…

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://reprage.com/post/an-open-love-letter-to-adrian-bliss

Hi Clinton!

I absolutely loved your letter!

I’m a french student at La Sorbonne in Paris in literature and communication and my final research paper is about “vlogvember”. I was wondering if you would agree to answer a couple of questions about your viewing experience?

I wish you to have fun during the day and to make all the things,

Marion

Sure, send them over.

Hi Clinton!

Thank you so much for doing this!

Here we go :
1- Did you use to watch vlogs? What about now? What do you like about it?
2- How did you come across « vlogvember »?
3- What is it that makes you laugh about Adrian Bliss’ humour?
4- What’s your favorite character in the series and why?
Bonus question : 5- Do you have an interpretation for the pigeons? If they’re standing for anything, what for?

I had seen a couple, mostly as a way of understanding what younger generations were watching. Most of the YouTube content I watch is of people creating things. Many of these creators now record semi-regular ‘vlogs’, I go out of my way not to watch them.

I think I saw someone mention it on twitter, the ‘ad’ episode? I really loved the product placement parody as it was something I had been thinking a little at the time. It wasn’t a new marketing idea, but it seemed to be something that had become rife on YouTube.

I guess something needs to be unexpected to make you really laugh (probably similar to why you can’t tickle yourself). Anyway, Adrian Bliss’ dry self-deprecating humour takes the absurdity of our own roles in social media in unexpected directions. When I’m laughing at Adrian, I’m really just using his character as a proxy for laughing at myself.

Adrian, because of the above. Laughing at him / myself and the absurdity that is social media is kind of cathartic.

To be honest, I had never put much thought into it. When watching, I figured it was probably a reference to a vlogger an aspect of vlog culture that I didn’t get. There are a few parts that come across pretty obviously as references to other videos that I hadn’t seen. I found it pretty easy to let those go as inside jokes that I would more likely get if I had watched more vlogs.

But if i’m on the spot, and adding my own interpretation for the pigeons. It would be this. The pigeons are the audience, or the ‘consumers’. Us. The viewers. The often overlooked byproduct of presenting an edited, curated version of ourselves online can sometimes create a sense of inadequacy amongst those consuming the content. Running around calling pigeons ugly could be a way Adrian illustrates how vloggers can accidentally make their audience feel?

Wait But Why has a much better description of this social media induced inadequacy: https://waitbutwhy.com/2013/09/why-generation-y-yuppies-are-unhappy.html

Anyway, hope this helps your research paper.

Awesome and so helpful! Thank you for your amazing answers, the link and your time!

1 Like