3D Printer PLA moisture problems and storage solutions

Not long after getting into 3D printing, you start hearing about all the different ways people store PLA (Polylactic acid). The Internet is scattered with systems ranging from the very simple to elaborate PLA humidors. Often accompanied by scant details, but ominous warnings ‘PLA absorbs moisture from the air’.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://reprage.com/post/3D-Printer-PLA-moisture-problems-and-storage-solutions

Did not know about having it for only the time you need it, I figured I was fine with my airtight container :o How about rice as an alternative to silica?

1 Like

Why not store it in a plastic storage tub (with lid) with a layer of silica gel cat litter on the bottom?
I suspect that cat litter is the cheapest way of obtaining sizable quantities of silica gel.

1 Like

Didn’t know that cat litter container silica gel.

Haven’t tried rice as a desiccant. A quick google around seems to question rice’s ability to absorb moisture from the atmosphere (boiling water is a different story altogether). Maybe give Jon’s idea a try?

The white and blue crystal type is silica gel.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=silica+gel+cat+litter+brands&espv=2&biw=1598&bih=864&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=l476VISfHcXVoASMw4GwAw&ved=0CFQQsAQ&dpr=1&gws_rd=cr&dcr=0

1 Like

Silica gel cat litter exists? That sounds really unsafe XD But I doubt it is really, good idea

You could use this to avoid humidity

I use a 4 part method. It’s easy, fast, and handy. I bought everything on Amazon for about $70. I takes little to no effort, and a minute or less. I’m an Amazon prime member so I got it all in 2 days (for those impatient like me).
***I’ve put the Amazon links below.***(because I love when people do that)

I put silica in small cloth bags I found around the house which lets the silica do its job, and the cloth helps draw the moisture. I toss that in a 1 gal ziplock with the roll of filament. It then goes into an XL vacuum space saver bag that stays in a 74 qt weatherproof bin (like a trash bag in a can). I use the intake of a battery powered air pump (like you’d use for camping) to remove all extra air. It fits in the bin w/ everything else, and is much more convenient than hauling out the vacuum. Toss on the lid and I’m done. It has never failed me to date and I’ve used this method for over a year. BTW, After I bag it in the ziplock, I put it into the box it came in prior to putting into the vacuum bag. This not only helps identify type/color, but it stacks better and has no sharp edges that can puncture the vac bag.

Amazon Links-